Friendships Are Like Clothes In A Closet!
Yes I know I haven't written in a while, I will address that at some point or not. Nutshell, first foster was tough and we took the summer to just regroup and focus on what was important to be able to proceed on. Great news, we have since switched agencies and happy to report we had a great 2nd respite foster babe! Now on to what my mind is racing about today..
Today, as I reflect on my life and the most current events in my life, I was hit with the epiphany that friendships are a lot like the clothes in our closets. Please bare with me as I try to explain! haha These days we are bombarded with social media which includes but not limited to FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter, and SnapChat (ok, really those are the only I knowledge about). There are also some other apps like You Version Bible app, First 5, and I am sure there are more. There is something that all of these have in common and it's the friends base in which you can add or remove from, depending on moods, current events, or attitudes. Today that got me thinking about the clothes I'm wearing, old lounge pants and a worn t-shirt a friend gave me. This is the bare with me part. Ok visualize this...you are standing in front of your closet while trying to decide what you want to wear. For me, most days I grad something casual and comfy, especially if I am not leaving the house. But then you have those nicer pieces that you wear when you want a little bit more, maybe you are feeling a little more playful or bold. Then you have those few pieces that just stand out and wow the rest, in my closet that's about 2-3 pieces. Now, if you take the mentality you have with you clothes and switch clothes for friends then we all do the same thing. Say you are standing in front of you "friend" closet. Depending on your mood, attitude, or events going on, you are going to reach out to those few friends in those categories. Feeling happy and want to chill out, you grab your fun going relaxing friends. Say you are wanting to party a bit or go out for drink, then you grab those specific friends. But then again there is just a select few of friends that you grab for those special occasions. Then there are the rest of the clothes in your closet or the rest of your friends in your closet. The ones that are just there because you felt like it. Maybe you saw a cute shirt and thought, "oh, i could wear that with (fill in the blank)" or you got it just because. Friends are like that too, outside of the ones you go to for various things, there are the ones that are just there. Ones you kinda know, ones who are friends of friends. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it, unless it's a problem.
Sometimes life can feel chaotic and crazy, but some of those friends have gotten you through some deep low points and some high and great points in your life. What if we revamped our closets? Have you ever heard of a time capsule wardrobe? It's buying a few specific items so they all interchange and work with each other. So you spend more time and energy on things that really matter and less time and energy of all the other useless stuff. What if we adapted that with our friends closet? What if we put our time and energy on the ones that really matter, ones who speak to our hearts, who talk us out of things, who walk beside us through thick and thin. Then what if they all interchanged and we cold do the same for them?
I also understand that just like clothes, friends have seasons too. Some times for some reason we are close with ones for a while, could be weeks or years then something changes and the friendship is over. Maybe not over, but no longer needed for that particular season. It doesn't mean that time was wasted or you have to have a bitter burned bridge experience. Yes I know this post could be nothing more that God making me come to these realizations about myself and who/want I let in. Like clothes, friends comes in and out of our life for various reasons, so while they are there, unless it's a harmful relationship, be the best friend you can be!
Hope some of that made some sense to you, if not, then that's ok too! Thanks for reading!
Today, as I reflect on my life and the most current events in my life, I was hit with the epiphany that friendships are a lot like the clothes in our closets. Please bare with me as I try to explain! haha These days we are bombarded with social media which includes but not limited to FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter, and SnapChat (ok, really those are the only I knowledge about). There are also some other apps like You Version Bible app, First 5, and I am sure there are more. There is something that all of these have in common and it's the friends base in which you can add or remove from, depending on moods, current events, or attitudes. Today that got me thinking about the clothes I'm wearing, old lounge pants and a worn t-shirt a friend gave me. This is the bare with me part. Ok visualize this...you are standing in front of your closet while trying to decide what you want to wear. For me, most days I grad something casual and comfy, especially if I am not leaving the house. But then you have those nicer pieces that you wear when you want a little bit more, maybe you are feeling a little more playful or bold. Then you have those few pieces that just stand out and wow the rest, in my closet that's about 2-3 pieces. Now, if you take the mentality you have with you clothes and switch clothes for friends then we all do the same thing. Say you are standing in front of you "friend" closet. Depending on your mood, attitude, or events going on, you are going to reach out to those few friends in those categories. Feeling happy and want to chill out, you grab your fun going relaxing friends. Say you are wanting to party a bit or go out for drink, then you grab those specific friends. But then again there is just a select few of friends that you grab for those special occasions. Then there are the rest of the clothes in your closet or the rest of your friends in your closet. The ones that are just there because you felt like it. Maybe you saw a cute shirt and thought, "oh, i could wear that with (fill in the blank)" or you got it just because. Friends are like that too, outside of the ones you go to for various things, there are the ones that are just there. Ones you kinda know, ones who are friends of friends. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it, unless it's a problem.
Sometimes life can feel chaotic and crazy, but some of those friends have gotten you through some deep low points and some high and great points in your life. What if we revamped our closets? Have you ever heard of a time capsule wardrobe? It's buying a few specific items so they all interchange and work with each other. So you spend more time and energy on things that really matter and less time and energy of all the other useless stuff. What if we adapted that with our friends closet? What if we put our time and energy on the ones that really matter, ones who speak to our hearts, who talk us out of things, who walk beside us through thick and thin. Then what if they all interchanged and we cold do the same for them?
I also understand that just like clothes, friends have seasons too. Some times for some reason we are close with ones for a while, could be weeks or years then something changes and the friendship is over. Maybe not over, but no longer needed for that particular season. It doesn't mean that time was wasted or you have to have a bitter burned bridge experience. Yes I know this post could be nothing more that God making me come to these realizations about myself and who/want I let in. Like clothes, friends comes in and out of our life for various reasons, so while they are there, unless it's a harmful relationship, be the best friend you can be!
Hope some of that made some sense to you, if not, then that's ok too! Thanks for reading!
Comments
Post a Comment